Roll Cake is a nostalgic but indispensable taste for cake lovers. Roll Cake, which is sold both in slices and whole, is frequently seen in patisseries. The most popular version of the roll cake, in which you can vary the dough, cream, and filling as you wish, is the banana roll cake. So how to make a Roll Cake at home?
How is Roll Cake Made? Ingredients?
- 3 eggs
- 1 finger missing from 1 glass of granulated sugar (120 g)
- 1 packet of baking powder
- 1 cup of flour (110 g)
- 1 packet of vanilla
For the cream:
- 500 ml of milk
- 1 packet of vanilla
- 2.5 tablespoons of flour (50 g)
- 1 tablespoon of starch (15 g)
- 4 tablespoons of sugar (65 g)
- 1 tablespoon of butter
For the above;
- 1 bag of whipped cream
- 150 ml cold milk
How to Make a Roll Cake?
- First, the cream of the cake is prepared. For the cream, add all the ingredients except vanilla and butter to a saucepan and mix until it thickens. After boiling, turn off the stove. Add vanilla and butter and mix. Then, take the sponge cake into another container to cool quickly until it is ready, cover it with an airtight stretch and leave it to cool.
- Let’s prepare our sponge cake. Beat the eggs and sugar in a deep bowl with the help of a mixer until the mixture turns white. Then add the flour, vanilla and baking powder and whisk again.
- Let’s cook our sponge cake. Spread the dough on the tray in an even thin layer by laying oiled paper on it. Make sure that the baking sheet is spread evenly by tapping it on the counter or shaking it back and forth, and bake in a preheated 170 degree fanless oven for about 12 minutes.
- Let’s roll our cake. After the cake turns pink, take it out of the oven, invert it on another baking paper.
- Peel off the baking paper underneath. If the edges are not very smooth, trim them with a knife.
- Let’s put the cream on our cake. Spread all the cream we prepared on it. Then, after placing the banana you cut in half or any other fruit you like on the cream, you can wrap it with baking paper in the form of a roll, so you can make fruit roll cakes.
- Let’s rest our cake in the fridge. Cover the prepared roll so that it cools well, and let it rest in the refrigerator for at least 2-3 hours. Otherwise, the whipped cream you put on it will melt.
- Let’s decorate the cake. After the cake has cooled, prepare the whipped cream and cover the cake completely. You can decorate it as you wish with hazelnut, coconut or cake candies. If you wish, like me, you can fold the baking paper and fill the squeezing bag with the chocolate you melted in a bain-marie style, then cut the end of the paper and give shapes on your cake. Finally, you can sprinkle peanuts and decorate with fruits. Serve by slicing your cake. Enjoy your meal
You can also cover your Roll Cake with coconut mixed with cocoa. Filet almonds are also one of the materials I prefer to decorate Roll Cakes. It is not as difficult as it seems, you can prepare the whole cake in half an hour, not counting the waiting in the fridge.